West Coast Reduction Ltd. is searching for a Corporate Controller to join our Vancouver Head Office team. Using innovative thinking, progressive processes, and modern facilities, WCRL’s 6 plant locations across Western Canada recycle inedible food by-products and create finished products such as protein meals and fats which are then sold to customers worldwide. As an integral part of a sustainable local food chain, rendering keeps energy in the system by creating high value products from materials that would be otherwise sent to land fill or compost. We deliver raw material containers to suppliers, ship products globally and offer storage, shipping, refining and blending services through a terminal located at the Port Metro Vancouver. Learn more at www.wcrl.com.
The Corporate Controller is responsible for performing general accounting duties related to the day-to-day financial activities of the company and direct management of the accounting department staff. The Corporate Controller will be involved in providing the finance department with support and assisting with oversight of accounting and hourly payroll functions.
This position reports to the Manager of Finance & Accounting and involves management of 7 team members in the department.
- Manage the accounting department functions while leading, coaching and mentoring department staff
- Prepare bank reconciliations for all accounts
- Prepare working papers leading up to monthly financial statements
- Perform month end accounting procedures for WCRL Vancouver division and Corporate Office
- Prepare month end journal entries for internal financial statement purposes (standard journal entries, ie. accounts payable accruals, bank reconciliations and truck allocations)
- Complete variance analysis of WCRL monthly financial statement packages
- Oversee other month-end accounting procedures
- Weekly and monthly review of KPIs
- Daily cash reporting and weekly cash forecast
- Reconcile the Director’s Drawings and preparation at year end
- Assist with government reporting and external audits including preparation of year end working papers
- Approve payee control and act as signing officer for WCRL including cheques, EFT, wires, and online banking
- Approve A/R allowance and write offs
- Approve and post entries in ERP system
- Provide user support for the ERP system (JD Edwards) modules
- Prepare special reports covering project cost analysis as requested
- Provide technical accounting support, training and instruction to divisional accounting office staff (eg. coding, unusual items, accounting policies and procedures)
- Calculate monthly production volumes, month-end allocation journal entries and investigate discrepancies
- Provide backup for the Assistant Controller, Senior Accountant and Manager of Finance as required
IT Project Support
- Work closely with the IT team to provide accounting and financial expertise during system upgrades or new system implementations
- Test and implement ERP system upgrades and new modules
- Perform accounting duties for WCRL subsidiaries and other groups of companies
- People development and active management of direct reports
- Foster a positive team and company culture by ensuring treatment of other employees, contractors and visitors is respectful and aligned with company values
- Perform other duties as assigned by Manager of Finance & Accounting
The Ideal Candidate:
- Designated CPA or equivalent with 5 to 7 years’ of accounting experience
- Prior experience in manufacturing or production industries an asset
- 3 to 5 years’ experience managing an accounting team
- Previous experience using an ERP system required
- JD Edwards knowledge an asset
- Well-informed in current financial subjects including ASPE accounting and tax law
- Strong initiative and ability to complete projects accurately within set deadlines
- Detail-orientated with strong communication and analytical skills
The company offers a competitive wage rate plus benefits package for all full-time positions.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume by email to email@example.com or via the link below.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this opportunity, however, only those individuals who are selected for an interview will be contacted.